Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dude Ranch

Dude Ranch is Blink-182's second album and let me say right off the bat, that it's an amazing album. They took their punk rock sound in Cheshire Cat and amplified it ten fold. The music sounds a lot better than their older albums and I suppose it helps that it is now 1997 (damn I can hardly believe i was 6 when this album came out).  I guess recording quality increased a lot in those short years.

Dude Ranch succeeds on all accounts as being the perfect follow up to Cheshire Cat. The main themes of the lyrics on the album mostly relate to relationships, growing up emotionally and knowing what you really need in a partner. Of course, along with these deep sentiments, there are also some elements of randomness within other songs. For example, the song Degenerate. That song is pretty much about a drunken night gone incredibly wrong followed by a series of unfortunate events that you just can't help but laugh at.  Honestly, that song makes me laugh every time I hear it. If you're willing to listen to it then you'll understand why. Classic Blink with immature toilet humor. Vintage Blink, 'nuff said.

As far as  songs that I can recommend, there are seven. I picked them because I feel they demonstrate what the album is about. They are: Pathetic, Apple Shampoo, Untitled, Dick Lips, Waggy, and finally Dammit. Oh, if you happen to be a Star Wars fan (as I am.....I'll get around to those movies...trust me) then I also recommend New Hope. I really like how creative Mark got with the lyrics.  Anyway that's Dude Ranch.

As far as who I would recommend the album to, I'd say anyone who has an interest in Blink who can't handle Cheshire Cat's and Buddha's umm let's say "older" sound. It's an all around great album not just because it's a Blink-182 album. It's also a fantastic punk rock album.

No comments:

Post a Comment