Sunday, May 6, 2012

Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law

Have you ever sat back at home and wished for a different kind of comedy show? How about one where an old cartoon icon from the 60's plays a lawyer? How about a comedy that pokes fun at serious topics while at the very same time not taking itself too seriously? Well I think I may have found one for you.

I remember a few years back I was up late and I stumbled upon Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law. The show was so damn hilarious I couldn't stop laughing even hours after I had just watched it. This was late night by the way so uhh cue creepy images of me laughing hysterically at 3 AM (Hmm, I wonder if my neighbors heard me. Oh well). It wasn't until years after that night that I actually got the show and began watching it from the beginning. It started off a bit slow but it definitely picks up. Remember everything I said at the start of this post? Well all that stands as an accurate definition of the show. It stars Birdman playing not the role of the hero he once was in the 60's, but as an inept attorney who gets assigned these insanely weird cases which spoofs our own judicial system and in many ways, our very political system. All of the cases have to deal with old Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters. I know it sounds weird, but it just adds to the high amount of creativity this show has. I also see that as an incredibly clever move on the side of the show's creators. Think about it, these cartoon characters were beloved back in the day right? What better way to bring them back to the present day, especially when the ones who watched the old cartoons from the 60's would more than likely be adults now and would require entertainment geared toward them? I dunno maybe I'm over-analyzing this a bit too much but I like to think I made a pretty damn good observation.

One thing I mentioned that the show does extremely well is make light of issues that have occurred (or are still occurring) in our country. Some of the issues satirized are: corporate ownership of media, global warming, lobbying, gun control, women's rights, animal rights, time traveling (in some episodes), and gay marriage. Now what this show does with these topics is very carefully makes fun of while at the same time bringing them to light. The end result is that the episode makes you crack up and then think. That's what I like the most about it. It's something unique to this show, laughing and thinking. Anyway, all that only makes up half of the show. The other half comes in the form of the voice acting. All the characters have fantastic voice actors. My favorite would have to Stephen Colbert who actually voices Birdman's boss, Phil Ken Sebben. The actors all fit the characters perfectly and it gives the impression that they actually enjoy the work and that makes all the difference when it comes to animated shows.

Well if you have never watched the show, I suggest you do so. You won't regret it (at least I hope you don't...I didn't). It has something for everyone, except kids obviously. It's ridiculous and silly, but it's never too silly to the extent where it starts to become annoying. The sole negative is that there are only 39 episodes and they're each about 11 minutes long. It's a damn shame there couldn't be more. But such is the case for such clever television. Oh and for a taste of what to expect from it I have included a picture. Look at it. Thank you for reading this and have a great day!
Can you tell me what the hell is going on here? No? Well go watch episode 14: Back To The Present


No comments:

Post a Comment