Monday, November 14, 2011

My Thoughts on Megan Is Missing


A dear old friend of mine called me up about an hour ago to ask me to watch a movie called Megan Is Missing. I had never heard of the movie but going off the title I guessed that it had something to do with a kidnapping. Naturally my hunch was right. However, I had no idea the amount of depth the actual movie would have. I'll be honest I only saw the last 22 minutes of the film. The reason being because after doing some research on the movie, (and by research I mean typing Megan Is Missing into google and seeing what came up and then clicking around for information like any pro detective would do, right?) I discovered that a lot of people were in shock of how the last 22 minutes shaped the film. So naturally I wanted to do the same. I just watched the last 22 minutes and let me say that was one hell of a 22 minutes. The extreme low key lighting combined with oblique camera angles and a lack of proper viewpoint really gave the movie a haunting atmosphere. This movie wants you to WANT to see what's going on but guess what....it doesn't allow you to and it'll drive you crazy not seeing, but only hearing what's happening.

I'm not sure if it would be considered taboo to review a movie based on seeing 22 minutes of it, so I won't call this a formal review. However you should know that Megan Is Missing was made for a specific reason: to bring about more attention to a problem that we as a society seem to not really care about, or at least do not know how to combat. It tackles the issue of the over-sexualization of young girls on the internet and specifically how often they are the targets of predators appearing to come off as "the right guy" who pretend to care and listen when all they want is to use these women in the worst possible ways. It may not be the greatest movie ever. Hell just based off the little I saw of it, I could tell you that the production value was very low. It's also not a movie for everyone that's for damn sure. However if you do watch it, whether or not you enjoyed it, you have to at least agree that it did give you something to think about. Any media that does that is, by my definition, great media.

I'd like to thank my old friend Liann for asking me to watch it. I'd also like to say that thanks to those 22 minutes I will eventually watch the whole movie. Probably not for a looooooooong time. The college life is a pretty busy one and I don't always feel like watching something. But rest assured I will watch this movie in it's entirety. Well thanks for reading my thoughts on Megan Is Missing and I wish you a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment